It has just been over a year since I have moved to Melbourne, Australia. Melbourne is a fantastic place to live has been rated as the best place to live since 4 years in a row now. I have joined a few groups using meetup, linkedin, facebook etc. to know people in the internet marketing industry. I have seen that many people in the industry have their own courses which help people have an online business. I attended one seminar and the person was charging around $4K for a course which helps people make money online. I am not sure what the course is about but I really don’t think that someone needs to spend so much to start with an online business. There are many ways to make money online and in this post I will discuss the basic and most easiest way to start.
- Choose a Niche: First, you need to decide what your website will be about. What interests you a lot? Will you be happy writing about this forever? Will it become boring after some time? You need to ask such questions before you decide on a niche. If you are a big football fan, you may write about the latest matches that you are following or a particular team you follow. Another great idea is to write about a course you are attending. I remember recommending friend to write whatever he was learning at a project management class and his blog immediately had followers who were looking to do this course or were already taking the course. Fifteen people from his class were already following his blog and that motivated him to make it big. If you are a housewife, you can create a blog about food recipes or if you have kids, you may create one about education your child is getting. Spend around a couple of days thinking about all the options you have and then finalize a real good niche or topic that will be your blog subject.
- Create a Website: Money can also be made online without a website. But, to build a solid business that can make you money over a long run, you should have a website. Creating a website means you need a topic or niche. Think about a topic which interests you and buy a relevant domain name. For eg. If you are interested in knowing more about a particular city, you can build a website related to that city. The domain name can be something interesting like citynamefan.com, citynameblog.com or anything that sounds good and is familiar. Creating a website is easy with bluehost and you can have your website up and running in few minutes. You don’t need any technical skills whatsoever. If you can use facebook, you can create a website on your own.
- Add Content: Once you have your website up, its time to start adding content to it. Lot of people fall of short of content and then their website or blog dies quickly. The best way to overcome this is to have a plan or strategy. There is no need to write lots of content in a day. You can write at least 3-4 posts in a week. The more content you build, it will work in a more positive way for you and your website. Hence, it is very important to choose a niche which has lots of information or ideas that can be generated and posted online. The best way to generate content is to talk to your readers and see or guess what they might be more interested in. Gathering feedback and reading what your readers are saying the comments section can help you build your content strategy.
- Promote on Social Media: Almost everyone has a facebook account and I am sure even you do. You may create a facebook fan page for your website and ask your friends and family to like it. If you have a budget, your facebook fan page can be promoted to thousands of facebook users for a very small amount. You may also take few steps more by creating and sharing your content on other social media networks like twitter, pinterest, instagram etc. An application like HootSuite can really help you manage all your accounts at one place.
- Online Promotion: Your website and its content can be further promoted by taking part in forums and websites where people have problems or questions. You have a solid content on your website and it can help lots of people online. By taking part in forums, commenting on blogs, answering questions online, you can get visitors to your website. The number of visitors to your website will increase if your participation on other interactive websites is more.
- Making Money: The most important part is to make money with your website. Making money with your website depends on hard and smart you work. You may choose to earn few cents with programs like Google AdSense or would want to make money by getting commissions by promoting other’s products. The best way would be to create your own product and sell it on your website. This way you get the 100% of sale amount and also know your customer. Creating a list of customers can help you as you will be able to sell to the same customer again and again. If you are not yet ready to create your own product, you can find products made by others and choose to promote them. A simple search on Google for “keyword affiliate program” can give you results of programs of which you can be a part of and make money.
Just follow these simple steps to start your journey of making money online. Don’t make it too complicated and stay away from people who will ask you to spend more money. Start by spending minimum on a domain name and web hosting (under $10 per month). Once you start making money, you can spend on other aspects like a logo, professional design etc.