Yesterday, I got my iPhone 4 and I wanted to to try the WiFi on it. Right now, I am not using a WiFi connection at my Home and I was too lazy to connect the wireless router. I know that an iPhone can be used as a wifi router or a hotspot so I thought let’s try if it can work on my Macbook Pro as well. I was pretty sure it will work but wasn’t sure on how easy or difficult it would be. At the end, it was just a few minutes job. I have my Macbook Pro connected to the Internet using an ethernet cable. This is what I had to do:
- Open System Preferences > Sharing.
- Select Internet Sharing option. It will ask you if you are sure, click Start.
- In the ‘Share your connection from’ option select ‘Ethernet’ from the dropdown.
- In the ‘To Computers using’ option, select ‘Airport’. Mac machines call WiFi as Airport.
- Securing this connection with a password is highly recommended. To do this, simply click on Airport Options button below and put in a password and network name.
Now other devices like your phone, another computer or any other wifi enabled device can use the same connection by selecting the network and putting in the password.
I am not sure if this can be done on other machines but you may try it with Internet Sharing. For me this is another plus point to recommend a Mac.